Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Fall 2009: Painting1

I chose to explore the semi-representational treatment of the figure through developing the aqueous properties of watercolours. I allowed the paint to activate itself by adding varying proportions of water in order for the personality of the paint to become a visual experience. Please excuse the undetited images - my photoshop is not working at the moment!























































pseudoexistenzephilosophie?
30"x40"
Acrylic and China pencil on canvas

This painting is a notable departure from any of my previous work: The imagery is completely a product of my imagination, and I used no observational reference whatsoever; the research was wholly drawn from personal experiences, emotions and sentiments. In connection to a significant portion of my previous work, I used acrylics on canvas, accented with dry media, in this case china pencil.

This piece is important to me because it represents a physical manifestation, a vessel if you will, for my own anxieties and frustrations with myself and others in my life. through compelling imagery and a universal theme (we all live in the same contemporary social landscape after all), I invite you to share the anxiety and the pseudo-existentialism which I find best encapsulated within our youths.



Lost 1
30"x40"
Acrylic and graphite on canvas

Drawing from the developments of the study (below), I chose to use elements of traditional Chinese landscape painting to inform a northern west coast mountain scene.





Study for Lost 1
Acrylic, ink and graphite on paper

For the development of this study and final piece, I employed stylistic and technical cues I developed in previous works, and looked to combine these cues with my investigation of traditional Chinese landscape painting inspired by Chinese master painter Chang Dai Chen [Zhang Daqian]. The paintings he produced while living in California provided an incredible visual starting point.


Study: Still life with old fruits&veg
Acrylic on canvas board








Study: Still life in shoebox
Acrylic on paper

1 comment:

  1. watsup harries its chris lee! gonna follow you on blogspot if thats alright you got some cool shit here bro. excited to see where you take this.

    ReplyDelete